Dr. T. R. Chelliah
91 1332 28 5554
Areas Of Interest
- Large Electric Drives and Power Electronics, Power Electronics Applications in Large Pumped Storage Plants
- Marine Propulsion Systems, Energy Management in Electric Tugs
Honors And Awards
|Cash award for the paper presented at UPCON2016||IIT-BHU||2016|
|Full Travel grant award to attend the conference AEE’13, USA||Department of Science and Technology (DST), India||2013|
|Best Paper Award for a research paper presented at AEE 2013, The Inn at Harvard (USA)||International Conference on Applications of Electrical Engineering, USA||2013|
|Best Paper Award for a research paper presented at ACCT’13, India||Int. Conf. on Advanced Computing & Communication Technologies||2013|
|Cash Award for an Article “Combined Heat and Power Systems”||Bureau of Energy Efficiency, (Ministry of Power) India)||2007|
|Electrical Supervisor Competency Certificate||Tamil Nadu Electrical Licensing Board, Chennai||1999|
|Travel grant award to attend the conference ICACC 2009, Singapore||Department of Science and Technology (DST), India||2009|
|Ph.D||Control of Industrial Motors||Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2009|
|M. Eng||Power Electronics and Drives||Government College of Engg. Tirunelveli (Anna Univ, Chennai)||2005|
|B. Eng||Electrical and Electronics||Coimbatore Institute of Technology (Government Aided Institution)||2002|
|Dip. Eng||Electrical and Electronics||Government Polytechnic College Nagercoil||1996|
|2011||2017||Treasurer||Indian Water Resources Society|
|2016||on going||O.C (Hydropower Simulation Lab.)||IIT Roorkee|
|2012||On Going||O.C (Electrical lab.)||WRDM|
|2015||on going||O.C (Building)||IIT Roorkee|
|2011||On Going||O.C (placements)||WRDM|
|2012||2012||Mentor of student projects||All India Young Engineers’ Humanitarian Challenge (Aiye-Hum) 2012|
|1998||1999||Head – Electrical and Mechanical Division||Haitima Textiles Limited, Coimbatore|
|2017||on going||O.C (Website)||IIT Roorkee|
|Control of variable speed pumped storage hydropower plants and energy balancing||Sponsored Research and Industrial Consultancy, Indian Institute of Technology Roorkee||2011|
|Doubly-Fed Induction Machines under Grid Disturbances||Tehri Hydropower Development Corp. Ltd.||2014|
|Hydro Energy Storage: Robust Computing and Control Technologies for Enhanced Energy Efficiency||Department of Science and Technology, INDIA||2013|
|Cost Verification of 3X42MW Hydropower Projects||Megalaya Energy Corporation Ltd.||2014|
|Doubly Fed Induction Machine as a Propulsion Motor in Tugboats to Improve Fuel Efficiency||Ministry of Shipping||2016|
|Reduction of Switching Transients in Doubly Fed Induction Machines used in Large Pumped Storage Plan||CPRI Banaglore||2016|
- IEEE Industry Applications Society, Senior Member
- IEEE Power and Energy Society, Senior Member
- Indian Water Resources Society, Life Member
|Title||Course Code||Class Name||Semester|
|Hydro Generating Equipments||WR-531||M. Tech||Autumn|
|Synchronous and Asynchronous Generators Lab.||WR 547||Autumn|
|Electrical Design of Hydropower Station||WR-538||Spring|
|Power System Protection Applications||WR 534||M. Tech||Spring|
|Renewable Energy System Technology||WR 579||M. Tech||Spring|
|Hydropower System Planning||WR-532||M.Tech||Autumn|
|Topic||Scholar Name||Status of PHD||Registration Year|
|Analysis of doubly-fed induction machine Operating at Motoring Mode||Navneet Kumar||A||2011|
|Performance Investigations of Induction Motor Drives under Sensor Faults||Arun Dominic||A||2011|
|Design and Development of Energy Conservation Strategies for Asynchronous Machine Drives||R. Rajasingh||A||2012|
|Converter Design for Doubly-Fed Induction Machine for hydropower applications||Carunai Selvane||O||2014|
|Optimization of Micro-Grid Operations||B. Anil Kumar||O||2014|
|Invertigation of Large Hydro Units subjected to Converter Faults||Anto Joseph||O||2015|
|Variable speed hydropower generation||R R Semwal||O||2015|
|HYdropower Generation under Varying Climatic Conditions||Karthik D||O||2016|
|Hydro-Electric Systems||S Raghu||O||2016|
|Investigation on Selected Energy Storage Systems for Indian Power Grid||Rupesh Kumari||O||2017|
|Cycloconverters fed large machine drives||Javed Ali||O||2018|
|Institute Visited||Purpose of Visit||Date|
|Central Electricity Authority||R&D Conclave||20,21-02-2|
|University of Sydney||Laboratory visit and discussion with the experts in Electric Drives||11-06-2015|
|Massachusetts Institute of Technology||Discussion with Electric Vehicle Team||31-01-2013|
|Harvard University (USA)||Conference||30-01-2013|
|Norwegian University of Science and Technology, Trondheim, Norway||Laboratory visit and a Discussion with the experts||20-25, Sep|
|AGH University of Science and Technology, Krakow, Poland||Conference (CISIM 2010)||08-10, Oct|
|University of Luxembourg||Research||2010 – 201|
|The Hong Kong Poly. University||Electric machines and Power Electronics Laboratories visit and a discussion with the experts||22-08-2012|
|University of Hong Kong||Electric machines and Electric Vehicle laboratories visit and a discussion with the experts||24-08-2012|
|Central Power Research institute Bangalore||Meeting with TC on Grid, Synchronization and Energy Conservation||25-9-2015|
|Baba Banda Bahathur Singh Engineering College, Punjab||Examiner (M. Tech Thesis Evaluation) – Punjab Technical University||01-08-2012|
|Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, Thiruvananthapuram||Research||17&18, Jan|
|Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, Noida||E- Learning laboratory visit||01-10-2012|
|Galogi Mini Hydropower Plant, Dehradun||Field visit during a short term course||30-11-2012|
|Centre for Development of Advanced Computing, Mohali||Wireless communication lab. visit||24-03-2013|
|Central Scientific Instruments Organization, Chandigarh||Computational Instrumentation laboratory visit||24-03-2014|
|NIT Thiruchirappalli||Examiner- Ph.D candidates||21-7-2014|
|THDC India Ltd.||R&D Meeting||17-7-2015|
|IISc Bangalore||NaMPET Meeting||16-04-2015|
|NIT Surathkal||Ph.D Examiner||24/10/2016|
|College of Technology, GBPUAT||Research and Project Discussion||29-10-2016|
|BHEL, Haridwar||visit to Electrical Machines Lab.||2-8-14|
|Pathri Power House (Uttrakhand)||M.Tech Observational Tour||03-09-2016|
|Chilla Power House (Uttarakhand)||M.Tech Observational Tour||26-08-2016|
|Conference Name||Sponsored By||Date|
|Power Electronics in Mini/Micro Hydropower Generation (3 days course)||National Mission on Power Electronics Technology (NaMPET), Ministry of Communications & Information||2012/11/29|
|Natioanl Workshop on Power Electronics (NWPE 2017)||NaMPET (MietY), Government of India||9-11/10/17|
|Advanced Control and Computing Technologies for Reliable Industrial Electricity Saving||Uttrakhand Science and Technology||17/02/2014|
|Power Electronics In LArge Pumped Storage Hydropower Plants||QIP, IIT Roorkee||14-18/7/2014|
|Applications and Challenges in Multi-Channel Megawatt Power Electronic Systems||QIP, IIT Roorkee||16-20/7/18|
|Reliability and Efficiency of Networked Electric Drives||University of Luxembourg||20-04-2010|
|Energy-optimal control of industrial motor drives||Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur||23-12-2013|
|Power electronics in hydro-electric energy systems||Malaviya National Institute of Technology, Jaipur||23-12-2013|
|Hydro Plant Electrical Systems||CEC, IIT Roorkee||05-04-2017|
|Recent Trends and Operational Challenges in Hydro-Electric Systems (Case Studies and Experimental Il||CEC, IIT Roorkee||05-04-2017|
|Recent Trends, Challenges and Research Opportunities in Hydropower Generation||Pondicherry Engineering College||05-12-2017|
[book chapter] Radha Thangaraj, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Millie Pant, Pascal Bouvry and Ajith Abraham, “Applications of Nature Inspired Algorithms in Electrical Engineering”, Handbook of Optimization, Intelligent Systems Series, Springer Verlag, Germany, pp. 991-1024, 2012.
- Patent: (2018) Energy Efficient Starting of Pump Turbine Equipped with Doubly Fed Induction Machine, accepted by IITR-IPR Cell for filing (under Tehri Hydropower Corporation funded project).
- Anto Joseph, D. Karthik, R R Semwal, Thanga Raj Chelliah and Deepak Khare, “Dynamic Performance of Pumping Mode of 250 MW Variable Speed Hydro-Generating Unit Subjected to Power and Control Circuit Faults,” IEEE Trans. Energy Conversion, Vol. 33, No.1, 2018.
- C. Bharatiraja, S. Raghu, T. R. Chelliah, M. Tariq, and J. L. Munda,, “Design and implementation of fourth arm for elimination of bearing current in NPC-MLI fed Induction motor drive,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications, Vol. 54, No.1, 2018.
- Anto Joseph and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “A Review of Power Electronic Converters for Variable Speed Pumped Storage Plants: Configurations, Operational Challenges and Future scopes”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics, Vol. 6, No.1, 2018.
- Anto Joseph, S. Raghu, Thanga Raj Chelliah and S V Appa Sarma “Starting and Braking of a Large Variable Speed Hydro-Generating Unit Subjected to Converter and Sensor Faults” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications (doi: 10.1109/TIA.2018.2816904).
- R. Rajasingh, Raghu Selvaraj and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Dynamic Performance of Doubly-Fed Hydroelectric Machines under Voltage Unbalance – A Relative Electro-Thermomechanical Analysis,” IEEE Trans. Industry Applications (accepted).
- Raghu Selvaraj, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Deepak Khare and C. Bharathiraja “Fault Tolerant Operation of Parallel Connected 3L- Neutral-Point Clamped Back-to-Back Converters Serving to Large Hydro-Generating Units, IEEE Trans. Industry Applications (accepted).
- B. Anil Kumar, S. Raghu, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Deepak Khare, U. S. Ramesh, “Improved Fuel-Use Efficiency in Diesel-Electric Tugboats with an Asynchronous Power Generating Unit,” IEEE Trans. Transportation Electrification (under second revision).
- Anto Joseph and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Fault Diagnosis and Fault Tolerant Control of Megawatt Power Electronic Converters Fed Large Asynchronous Hydro-Generator”, IEEE Journal of Emerging and Selected Topics in Power Electronics (under review).
- Anto Joseph and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “A Novel Energy Efficient Starting of Pump Turbine Equipped with Doubly-Fed Induction Machine”, IEEE Trans. Industrial Electronics (under review).
- Anto Joseph and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Multi-Channel VSI Fed Large Variable Speed Asynchronous Hydro-Condenser: Fault Analysis, Fault Diagnosis and Fault Tolerant Control”, IET Renewable Power Generation (under revision).
- R. Rajasingh and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Enforcement of cost-effective energy conservation on single-fed asynchronous machine using a novel switching strategy”, Energy, Vol. 126, pp. 179-191, 2017.
- C. Carunaiselvane and Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Present Trends and Future Prospects of Asynchronous Machines in Renewable Energy Systems”, Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Vol. 74, pp. 1028-1041, 2017.
Conference Papers (2017-18)
- Karthik D., S. Raghu, Thanga Raj Chelliah, D. Khare “Effective Utilization of Parallel Connected Megawatt Three-Level Back-to-Back Power Converters in Variable Speed Pumped Storage Units,” 53rd IEEE IAS Annual Meeting (USA), 23 – 27 September 2018 [accepted for presentation and to be submitted for possible publication in IEEE Trans. Industry Applications].
- R. Raja Singh, Harshit Mohan, Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Optimal Energy Switching Strategy for Doubly Fed VSD using Fuzzy – Decision Control Algorithm,” 52nd IEEE IAS Annual Meeting (USA), 1-5 October 2017 [invited for possible publication in IEEE Trans. Industry Applications]
- Karthik D, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Deepak Khare “Sustainable Operation Of Small Hydropower Schemes In Changing Climatic Conditions,” IEEE PES APPEEC 2017, Bangalore, 8-10 November 2017
- S. Raghu, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Deepak Khare “A Novel Switching Strategy for DC Link Voltage Balance in Parallel Connected Three-Level Diode Clamped Back-to-Back Converter Systems Serving to Variable Speed Pumped Storage Plant,” International Transportation Electrification Conference, Pune, 13-15 December 2017
- B Anil Kumar, Thanga Raj Chelliah, Deepak Khare, U S Ramesh, “Optimization of Micro-Grid with Load Prediction in Asynchronous Generator Driven Tugboat Propulsion System” International Transportation Electrification Conference, Pune, 13-15 December 2017
- M. Chandrasekar, B Anil Kumar, Thanga Raj Chelliah, “Optimal Sizing of Diesel Generators in Marine Propulsion Systems”, International Transportation Electrification Conference, Pune, 13-15 December 2017